Thursday, September 29, 2011

Project Hiroshi Hayakawa- Final Panels



The goal of my project was to practice transitioning between drawing for realism and drawing for animation with emphasis on character design. They are arranged from left to right because it is the most logical way to show a step by step, evolutionary process such as this. Each of these drawings was preceded by many gestural sketches. The first drawing of the armadillo is a study of the anatomy, and textural qualities of the animal. The drawing of the football player is a study of the body's gesture or position that I based my character off of. This drawing also takes into account the relationship of the figure to the shoulder padding, which becomes a defining characteristic of the character. The third drawing is the transition to finding the large volumes and shapes of the armadillo, while honing in on the actual design. The final drawing makes small changes to the position of the body and head, as well as adding details (ear hair, and armored scales on the head). This drawing is meant to show how this character might look if this were a still frame image from an animated short film. The absence of color is intentional because the I think that it was unncecessary to include, or worry about, when my purpose clearly was to practice the expansion of my drawing repertoire.

5 comments:

  1. I like him I just wish he were in color, but i guess if you did that there might be a separation from the rest of your pieces. I like the addition of the skull armor but i miss the tail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I was about to say the same thing about the tail. Wish it was included in the final piece. Overall I think this one was well done and like how it came out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm watching the "Today Show" right now and they just had a screaming armadillo featured. I thought of this project and after looking at your final panels I must agree you did a fantastic job of extracting the characteristics of both the football player and the armadillo to create a diesel creature. kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think there was something lost in between panels three and four. I like your gestural markings on three, I wish you had done four in a similarly loose way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your peers! Miss the tail… You definitely made the leap from hyper-detail pencil renderings to animated critter. Good start on the ear-hair--but watch out for a saw-tooth pattern. Look at drawings by Milt Kahl… see how he treated tufts of fur and hair.
    @Annie: what's a "diesel creature?" You are going to have to catch me up...

    ReplyDelete